The very first thing I want to talk about dealing with College is roommates.....If you don't need one (or in my case forced to have them) DON'T GET THEM! Now don't get me wrong living with someone new is a lot of fun and if you have a good roommate that you get along with then everything is peachy! I now have a wonderful roommate after a sort of rocky start and a quick room change....But as many have said before me living with someone is the quickest way you can discover all of your pet peeves! This is EXTREMELY true! In the first month of college I learned so many things about myself that I never actually knew! However there are many things you can do that can make a roommate experience much more enjoyable!
1. Talk about things......no seriously! I know everyone says this one but it is so f**king true! Roomies are not our mommies and they CANNOT read your mind!
2. Decide what battles are important enough to talk over....if sleep is REALLY important then make a deal about a reasonable quiet time or a time when she/he needs to get the h*ll out if they can't be quiet or maybe sleep isn't a huge issue and food is...talk about what is cool to share and what is keep your paws off!
3. Drugs/ Alcohol.....OK let's be real no one is the perfect princess... you are away from all parental units for a whole 4 years at least.... don't tell me you won't at least try it... but be SMART about it....also talk about rules of it being in your room... remember just because it's not yours does not mean you won't get in trouble
4. Schedules...honestly from personal experience I cannot stress the importance of knowing each other's schedule.....it can really have a damper on the situation if your study time is during his/her sexytime....it's awkward.
5. Finances- going to college is expensive and I don't just mean tuition, books, etc. because we all know how painfully expensive that is... I'm talking about personal expenses. Especially if you are put in my position coming from a smaller city with not the greatest selection of fashionable clothing to a huge city where it's hard not to find something you don't "ABSOLUTELY LOVE"....it's hard to force yourself to spend money on shareable things like toilet paper or cleaning supplies. Work out a plan so you are both sharing those expenses and learn to budget your funds to fit these lame things in as well.
6. Also do not loan money unless you know they can pay you back by the end of the week...the pressure and stress caused over money can really tear a relationship apart.
7.Get out of your room.....I may be speaking for myself when I say this but if I hole- up in my room all day I get extremely irritable and the last thing I want to do is talk or have someone in my personal space! Join a club...take a walk.....meet new people....go tanning....whatever it takes to get you out even for just a bit! It's worth it!
8. spend time with your roommate....get to know them.... You might not be BEST friends and seriously that's okay! You might end up wanting to rip their throat out at some point and its a lot easier if that person isn't your BEST PAL...just kidding....somewhat! But really go shopping with them or do something they enjoy even if you don't like it at least you know a little more about them.
These are just a few of the most important things I can think of right now! As always do not hesitate to comment or email me! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANYTHING! Also in need of any ideas for my next blog! Comment, email or find me on facebook!
XOXOXO
Callie Ann
No comments:
Post a Comment